Saturday, March 17, 2007

Still the snow


The world is holding its breath. Submerged yet one more time in rainy sleety winter. We just have to kick our way across this stretch a little while, until we burst up into the warmth, gasping and sucking in the fresh scents and the sunshine.

We had a day or two of 75F weather, and then the rains came through, followed by sleet, and 30F days. Fate directed me to take long walks in the night rain, and then on a brisk march through a sleety city.

The rain was needed, so things should really come to lfe shortly. I took these pictures last weekend down the street while the sun was bright, but the woods were clearly waiting. Nothing doing yet. Waiting out the false dawn after a winter of unpredictability. Well, you can't fight spring, so as the tide turns I'll be there.

The name of our little friend in the picture eludes me, so I'll be back. Otherwise, all I saw was some chickweed, dandilions, and onion grass. The old leaves were still on the beeches and hornbeams. Only the mountain laurel provided significant green.

No comments: